Understanding transitional pieces and how to style them
As you transition from winter to spring or summer to fall, there is always a dire need to change your clothing pieces. Imagine wearing a light summer dress amid the frosty bites of winter.
But here's the dilemma: it's the early days of winter, so it isn't that cold yet. So it wouldn't make much sense to wear a warm woolen jacket now, would it?
At the same time, your summer or fall outfits may be a little too light to shield you from the gradually falling temperatures. The same applies as you transition from winter to spring.
So, what should you wear as you progress from one season to the next? Transitional pieces!
What are transitional pieces?
Transitional pieces refer to clothes that allow you to comfortably transition from one season to the next without buying entirely new outfits. They include clothes that are comfortable when the weather is most fickle and midway between seasons. Talk about a light cardigan and button-downs.
Why are transitional pieces important in your wardrobe?
Transitional pieces are important as they allow you to stay comfortable yet stylish as you transition between seasons without having to buy an entirely new wardrobe tailored for that season. You can wear transitional clothing all year round, making them essential for every closet.
When you get fashion-befogged between seasons, think transitional pieces.
Must-have transitional pieces and how to style them
Ok, now you know what transitional pieces are, it's time to go shopping! That's, of course, if you don't have enough in your wardrobe already without knowing it. But what should you go for?
Below are six transitional pieces that will stay relevant all year round as you migrate between seasons.
- Cotton dresses: some transitional dress you have there! But why they may initially scream summer, they are a layering staple. Layer with a jacket, and you're ready to transition into fall and winter. Plus, cotton is an ideal fabric for just about every season and temperature.
- Light cardigan: a perfect piece to layer up with when the temperature starts falling. Since it's light, it doesn't get you hot, and you can always spread it out or take it off when the weather gets unbearably warm again. A light cardigan can be styled with a cotton top and pants (be it denim, khaki, or leggings).
- Cropped jeans: jeans are a staple for just about any wardrobe, but there's something about cropped jeans that makes them a transitional piece for all weather. It's timeless and can be worn with virtually all kinds of shoes. In spring or summer, style your transitional cropped jeans with heeled sandals and flats. In the fall transition, booties would work well.
- Sleeveless tops: what makes sleeveless tops a transitional piece is how easily they can be layered with just about anything. And when the sun is out, they are great as a standalone piece.
- Bermuda shorts: these knee-grazing pieces make a perfect alternative to trousers as you transition from summer to fall. To style, pair it with a button-down or t-shirt. When the temperature drops further, pair your Bermuda shorts with a blazer or knitted jacket.
- Button-downs: button-downs are a wardrobe essential as they work for every season. Here, it's more about the choice of fabric. Cotton fabric will work for the summer-fall transition as well as for the winter-spring. The sleeves will provide you with enough warmth while still being comfortable for the mild in-between season. You can layer with sweater vests, blazers, and denim jackets when it gets colder. Button-downs also work well over slip dresses and turtlenecks.
So, there you have it! Transitional pieces and how to style them all year round. Last but not least, transitional pieces are essential for your wardrobe, meaning that, regardless of your personal style, you'll find them functional and stylish depending on how they're paired.
If you have trouble styling and transitioning between seasons, we at Sadie House of Style are always happy to help!